Over the last few years, a less invasive version of the traditional duodenal switch (DS) has become an option for many patients.
Hospital stay with the ModDS
The surgery takes approximately 60-90 minutes, depending on your past surgical history, scar tissue, and anatomy.
This procedure is almost always done laparoscopically through six small incisions in the abdomen.
Laparoscopic surgery usually results in a shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, smaller scars, and less pain than open surgical procedures. The typical hospital stay is only one night.
Who is a good candidate for the ModDS?
You may be a good candidate for ModDS if you:
- Have a significant amount of weight to lose (BMI over 50)
- Want your best chance of curing type II diabetes (up to 98%)
- Know that you will be extremely dedicated to a life of vitamins and supplements
- Have conditions that will or may require you to use NSAIDS or Steroids (which patients cannot take if they have a gastric bypass)
- Have a strong history of smoking or nicotine